Monday, October 19, 2009

The Past Two Weeks

Sorry I am a little late in blogging this week, it has been a crazy and weird week. This previous weekend was Independence Day and we went to Luweero with the IMME group.
For Independence Day Kristina and I along with our Mom went to Kampala to what reminded me of a massive state fair. There were craft booths everywhere and I was able to get a lot of shopping done which was wonderful. The highlight of the day was the opportunity to eat real, delicious icecream that actually tasted like icecream, it was amazing!!
In Luweero we had the opportunity to hear Father Gerrie speak of his work and his role of a priest. The most influential thing that he spoke of in relation to poverty was that it needed to be a combined force between the Catholics and Anglicans. He spoke on the issue several times throughout the night, but one phrase that he mentioned was wonderful: “for the challenges we have, we must unite and not worry about the trivial things – we are all Christians – we have too great a challenge to get caught up in doctrine.” I loved this quote and the unity expressed for a common goal that God has called all of us to accomplish. I hadn’t expected this relationship between the two churches but it was later reaffirmed that night we spoke with the Bishop of Luweero. It gave me a new and much better realization of Catholicism. Both churches realize the extreme need of helping the poor, and instead of working separately and combating each other, they have chosen to work together in order to be more effective. I found this a little startling, for I had previously heard that the relationship between the two wasn’t great, and wonderful. It has changed my knowledge and perspective on the topic. I love the emphasis that we are all Christians and by letting doctrine interfere in so great a problem it hinders not the church people but the poor.
Not everything seems as cute and sweet and exciting. The children have become very annoying, the ones that we pass everyday and follow, and stare, and point, and giggle, you just want to say “yes, I realize that I am white, thank you for reminding me, now shut up and stop staring.” I know it sounds harsh and ridiculous but it can’t be helped, I’m convinced of it. The communal aspect which I have fallen in love with can also be hard to bear. I have been sick the past few days and have been continually asked how I am feeling by my family as if I could drastically change conditions in a span of a few minutes. All I wanted to do was sleep, which was impossible do to the fact that I was sweating in bed and because Mama can in about three times in a couple hour period telling me to wake up and have tea, by the end of which I just wanted to be like “I don’t want any more *@#$ tea!” but I didn’t so don’t worry. But at the same time I couldn’t be upset directly at her because I knew that it was all done with the best of intentions. Then we have a ‘nephew’, Chachi (at least this is what I call him) who randomly cries for no apparent reason other than because he wants to, and he does it all the time. He starts off with a whimper/ soft sob and rapidly progresses into body shaking/ gagging/ throwing up ridiculousness. It is crazy and you almost just want to give him something to cry about as awful as that sounds. I am ashamed of myself…maybe…a little. Yet as awful and funny as these sound I absolutely love it here. It is hard to enjoy everything though because exhaustion comes so easily, it is easy not to look at life as a wonderful gift and getting everything out of every minute. The books my mom sent me have been wonderful God-sends. They allow me time alone to just escape to another world giving me rest and relaxation from this one that is always imposing and always drastically aware of me. Another thing that I am enjoying is my classes, I am being stretched and pushed in new and exciting ways and even though they are challenging I still love them. We have been viewing God, and church, and how we live our lives with new perspectives that have been extremely enlightening. It is through these classes that I learned that the bitterness is just a phase that should pass, just maybe not before I go home, but hopefully:) This past weekend, though most of the time was spent resting and reading from being sick and homework, we had a guy come over that sold fabric which we brought and are having dresses made as I write this. I wasn’t able to walk down to the seamstress so I sent measurements so it should be interesting to see what comes back, but I am very excited! They are supposed to be done this coming weekend but we won’t be here. On Friday we leave for rural homestays and will be gone till the next Sunday. Today I received an incredible package from Aunt Debbie and my cutest cousins, Molly and Maggie. It was amazing and EVERYBODY is enjoying the oreos that were sent!! Everything had post it notes on it with little notes and it was wonderful, I love you all!! I almost cried because I had notes from Molly and Maggie as well and it was wonderful to see their handwriting and pictures drawn for me. It was great! I hope everyone is doing wonderful and enjoying the fall weather that I am missing. I miss you all and love hearing from everyone, you all have been wonderful!!

8 comments:

deb said...

Hey what are you doing? I love reading your blog, I hope you feel better. What would you like for us to send to you in your next package? Are you having a good time? Have you meet some nice friends? Tell us about them if you have. I miss you a lot. I'm so glad that you liked the things we sent to you. Mom thought of the ideas to put post it notes on everything. We were trying to think of what to put on them. I am also glad that everyone liked the oreos. How is college in Africa? I LOVE YOU!!!!! See ya in December. :) Love,
Molly

deb said...

Dear Rachel, How are you? We are praying you'll get back safely. Did you like the stuff? I am enjoying school. Are you enjoying school? Do you like Uganda? I miss you and I love you. We went to Glendale. With Hannah and Granny and Anna-Mae. We went to the Village Shop the Raseberry Shop and the ice-cream shop we got ice-cream i don't remeber what kind i had. We went to the Fall Festival too that was so much fun we had alot and alot of FUN. I REALLY REALLY MISS YOU TOO. I can't wait for you to get home were going to Glendale agian in December the 19 th.You'll be back then I think. We love you and miss you! Bye,MAGGIE
P.S I looooooooooooooooove you and miiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssss you. Oh....... and I am glad you'll be home before Christmas.

deb said...

Hi Rachel,

Hope you are feeling better. I miss you!! what would you like inyour next package? Love ya lots!! Aunt Debbie

Unknown said...

Hi Love
We too are wondering what to send you. Was considering the Oreo idea your mom gave us but perhaps now you would like something different. Something to read? Do you have time for leisure reading? Of course, how in the world would we know what you have already read?
Love you bunches. Suggestions?
G & G

Unknown said...

Rachel
wanted to tell you we got the Dee Henderson, "O'Malley Chronicles" for Terri for Christmas. not new, of course, as they are $65.00 new. ordered through Amazon. The first one came and looked just like new, dust jacket & everything, the other one didn't have the jacket but still looked pretty good. We had Christmas at their house last Sunday as they leave Thursday for Florida & won't be home until the end of April.
Glad you will be here for Christmas.
Grammy

Rachel Jones said...

As aweful as it sounds American food/candy is absolutely loved here by everyone but i will truly love anything that you send me, promise! I would love something to read but by the time I will receive I probably wont have time:) The latest to send will probably be the first week in November just because it takes about a month to get here:) I love you all very much and thank you!!

Charlotte Schneider said...

Aw, i'm sorry you were sick :( would you like me to send you some tea?? hehe ;)

i love you so much, honey...you rock, and i can't wait to see you again!

God bless you!

Gail said...

Hey Rachel,
We miss you, but are glad for your experience and opportunity to help and learn.

Love, Gail, Mark, & Kenz